Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Two New Teslas - Terrible Reliability Hits New Records



EXCERPTED COMMENTS BELOW CLICK LINK TO REVIEW ALL

Two New Teslas - Terrible Reliability Hits New Records


Tesla has now acheive a number of new records.

Record #1 and #2 - As of today my Model S which I took delivery of 30 days ago and my Model X that we took delivery of 16 days ago have both now individually each spent more days in the Service Center (5 days each, but S clock is still running as it is still there) than the combined total days of all new cars I have bought in the last 30 years. 

Record #3 - Tesla service has put more miles on my Model X than my wife and I have since delivery.

Record #4 - I have now had 7 different Tesla loaner cars over the past month. That is 7 more than any car I have ever bought (although I tend to wait for service even when Porsche oil change took 4+ hours).

That is quite an amazing streak over such a short period. When I drive my Telsas I love them, just wish I got to more often. 

Joking aside it has come to the point where I worry about my wife taking her X too far right now and I am docmuenting everything on both cars in the case I have to Lemon Law them. Really a shame and starting to feel foolish for purchasing two in such a short time period.



Wow, who changed the title of my Thread? I did not label it Lemon Law.

Model S - Air Suspension Leak - Brought it in on 10/10 for Service and notified Service that the air compressor went on for long period of time after car sat at rest for while. They kept it overnight and they claimed could not replicate the issue. Picked the car up on Wednesday the 11th and the next morning when I went out to the car it did the same thing, so I videoed it and then later in the day when I went to drive the car I got a warning "Air Suspension Needs Service". I called service and they were going to send a flatbed, but given my last experience when they picked up my X, I decided to drive it there after the code cleared when I next went out and started the car. Dropped the car off Thursday the 12th. They replaced a stuck air valve on Friday and tested over night on Friday and Saturday they said Drivers side strut leaked completely down so needs to be replaced and part will not arrive until Monday the 16th.

Model X - Parking Brake Needs Service - Fully documented in my other thread where the Technician who picked up my X decided to take it home 70 miles from the Service Center. Tesla Service Experience Takes a Strange Turn

I am sorry that yours broke down.

Let's take a look at lemon law:

  • The warranty for the vehicle must be current:
Checked for both S & X
  • The vehicle must be taken in for repair to an authorized dealer, for the same problem, at least 3-4 times. NOTE: For California law specifically, the law includes that if a certain repair may cause death or serious injury, 2 attempts to repair is sufficient cause to qualify a vehicle as a lemon. For example, brake failure would qualify after two repair attempts, as it is a major safety defect.

May be not 3 to 4 times so far?

  • The vehicle must have been inoperable for a total of 30 days (the days do not need to be consecutive).
May be not. Yours have been in the shop since October and now is still the same month.
  • The defect or malfunction in the car must be of severe impact either impairing the safety, value or use of the vehicle.
Checked for both S & X
  • In order to qualify, all cars must be leased or purchased in California and used for personal, family or business use.
Checked for both S & X

So, for Lemon: You got 3 checked off but the other 2 are not?



I recently saw a thread about parking brake messages. There's a firmware glitch that as far as I know Tesla's still working on.
"Parking Brake Needs Service"
All the service centers really should know about this, no surprise if they don't though.



When buying Tesla's, it may be a good idea to space the purchases out and let the first one go through the break-in period, fix everything, before buying the next one. For all 3 Tesla's that we bought the break-in period was under 6 months (actually, the oldest - 2013 - was the best in that respect). Knock-on wood, once all fixed they've held up great so far.


https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/two-new-teslas-terrible-reliability-hits-new-records.100099/